Saturday, November 8, 2008

Strong Decisions

The strongest moral decisions (e.g. the ones that last) are the ones that we make before we have to make them. In other words, they are the ones we make before temptation strikes. We must consider the temptations and challenges that could confront us --- and decide ahead of time how we will respond to them.

So, for example, if there is someone who always seems to "push my buttons" and "get under my skin," I should consider the godly response to such a person when they're not around. I should think hard about what words and actions I'll use when I am confronted with their incessant button-pushing. That way, when I'm in the moment, I won't need to worry about getting it right! I'll have a morally strong decision already made, in my pocket and ready for use!