Sunday, December 7, 2008

Effective Prayer

Effective prayer, we're told in the Bible, has at least five (5) key components:
  1. Praise or adoration - recognizing who God really is
  2. Thanksgiving or gratitude - acknowledging what God has done
  3. Confession & repentance - recognizing who I really am and what I've done
  4. Specific requests - stating what it is that I want God to do for me
  5. Commitment - submitting my requests and desires to His will
Ironically, heartfelt prayer usually clarifies three things:
  1. Whatever problems or challenges I may be facing become much more clear to me
  2. God's great power and willingness to help me become much more clear to me
  3. My God-given purpose and the steps I must take to live it become clearer

When God's people pray effectively, difficult decisions fall into their proper perspective - and appropriate actions follow.

So what, you say, if that's not what's happening in my prayer life? Then you should examine your prayer life and make some changes. Who would want to pray ineffectively!