Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Anger

Anger is like a double-edged sword. Used improperly it can can wound and destroy. But godly anger has a different look and purpose. It accomplishes much.

So what is the difference? Well, I notice that Jesus' anger accomplished much. But His anger was never about what was happening to Him. He was mistreated, misjudged, slighted, cheated, mocked, and even murdered. None of those things ever made Him angry. Isn't that odd?

How does that contrast with the things that make us angry?

Jesus got angry when people weren't showing proper respect and reverence for God. He also got angry when people were oppressing, cheating, hurting or otherwise taking advantage of the poor, the helpless, the sick, the children.

So it would seem that the anger I feel over the things you do to me is not godly and could never accomplish much. But anger I feel over the things you do to others is godly and could accomplish much. Now, will I take the time to discern the difference and apply myself accordingly?